In my Literacy Matters More Than Ever post, I asked everyone to do a survey and I said I’d share the results after sometime. Well now is sometime, isn’t it (LOL!)? So in this week’s post, I decided to share the results of the survey. My survey was about why literacy is important.
I asked the age group in the survey because I wanted to know the perspectives of children, teens, adults, and seniors. I organized the respondents into three age groups:
Fifteen people participated in the survey. The following pie chart below represents the percentage of people that completed the survey.
I asked them all one question and here are the answers I got:
Why is literacy important to you?
- Literacy is important to me because I like to play video games. Literacy is important to me because I love face timing with my friends when my school is closed. Literacy is important to me because I want to be a good student and earn lots of money.
- Literacy is important to me to complete my university studies and be successful in my career.
- To make my dreams come true.
- To be a better person and help others.
- Literacy matters to me because I want to grow my business.
- Literacy is important to me because it empowers me and gives me independence to make choices.
- Literacy is important because it helps us to understand our values, life skills and empower us to progress in life.
- For job, communication, for knowledge growth.
- Being literate is gaining knowledge. An ignorant person will make mistakes and will not know what mistake they have done, which is very bad. So everybody must be literate to create a better society.
- It allows me to stay connected to the world.
- Literacy is important to me because it allows me to communicate with my family, friends and peers!
- For self empowerment and to create a better community.
- Because of being literate, I can understand the world.
- Literacy is important to me to adjust my retirement savings and manage my bank account, to be aware of my health and wellness and update my health-related knowledge. I want to use devices properly to read news online and connect with my friends and families especially in the pandemic times like this. I enjoy reading books and tell stories to my grandkids.
- Literacy is important to me to take care of my health and manage my finances.
In my opinion, literacy is important to us in many different ways. Its meaning could be different to people when they’re in different stages of their lives.
Thank you to everyone who completed the survey!